Around 54,000 people were evacuated from the southern Italian city of Brindisi on Sunday as experts worked to defuse a World War Two bomb, authorities said.
Corriere della Sera daily said the operation was the biggest peacetime evacuation in Italy, with more than 60% of the city’s residents forced to vacate a “red zone” in a radius of 1,617 meters from where the bomb was found.
The British bomb, believed to have been dropped on the city in 1941, is 1 meter long and contains 40 kgs of dynamite, authorities said. It was found by chance last month during refurbishment works at a cinema theater.
The city’s airport, train station, two hospitals and a prison were shut down and evacuated as part of the operation, which authorities expect to be completed around lunchtime.
Newly elected leader supervises PUK Leadership Council's meeting
PUK condemns Dibis terrorist attack
Short biography of newly elected PUK co-leaders
Thursday, Kurds saluted the seventh anniversary of the assassination of 3 Kurdish women activists in France.
The crime took place on January 9, 2013, targeting 3 female Kurdi...
Susan Rice, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and national security adviser in the Obama administration, joined Judy Woodruff on PBS NewsHour and discussed the Trump administration&rsquo...
China has announced a drop in new cases from the coronavirus outbreak for a third consecutive day.
On Sunday, authorities reported 2,009 new cases and 142 more deaths nationw...