Huawei's next flagship phone blocked from using Google apps


29/8/2019 18:06:00
Print
     .

US trade ban means Mate 30 will be launched without Google Maps or Gmail

 

Huawei’s next flagship smartphone will not be able to use Google apps and services under the US trade ban, Google has said.

 

The Chinese telecoms firm is expected to launch its Mate 30 line of smartphones in the autumn.

 

Google has said that, under the US restrictions on trade with Huawei, the phones cannot be sold with licensed apps such as Google Maps or Gmail, which form part of Google’s Android operating system.

 

Huawei uses Android to power its lineup of smartphones.

 

The Chinese firm was blacklisted by the US government in May, amid allegations that the company was a threat to US national security over its alleged ties to the Chinese government – something Huawei has denied.

 

A temporary licence was issued by the US earlier in the summer and renewed again last week, which allowed Huawei to maintain existing devices, but does not apply to new products such as the Mate 30, Google said.

 

US companies are able to apply for specific products to be exempted from the ban, but Google has not said whether it had applied for any such licences.

 

“Huawei will continue to use the Android OS and ecosystem if the US government allows us to do so,” a Huawei spokesman said.

 

“Otherwise, we will continue to develop our own operating system and ecosystem.”

 

The Mate 30 will be the first major phone released by the company since the restrictions were introduced.

 

In June, Huawei’s UK managing director, Anson Zhang, said “nothing has changed” for the company despite the ban, and it would continue to provide software and security updates for Android in the short and long term.

 

Earlier this month, the company unveiled its own operating system, HarmonyOS, which it said it could use if it was no longer able to access Android but it said its first choice was to continue using Android.

 

 

PUKmedia \ The Guardian


 

Commemoration of 3 Kurdish activists shot in Paris


Thursday, Kurds saluted the seventh anniversary of the assassination of 3 Kurdish women activists in France.

 

The crime took place on January 9, 2013, targeting 3 female Kurdi...


»  3 Kurdish girls die in a fire in Norway
»  Kurdish teenager plays for several European football clubs
 

Quarantined citizen in Sulaymaniyah: services provided are impossible for major countries


One of the citizens inside a quarantine center in the city of Sulaymaniyah said that what the medical and administrative staff provide is not possible for major countries to provide, and that the q...


»  Susan Rice: U.S. has ‘sold out the Kurds’ with Syria move
»  INTERVIEW: Kurdish leader Ilham Ahmed on security in North and East Syria
 

America’s Opportunity in the Middle East


U.S. foreign policy hands are rightly grappling with how engaged the United States should be in the Middle East. Thought-provoking essays by Martin Indyk (in The Wall Street Journal) and Mara Karli...


»  UN Team Reports New Evidence Against ISIS in Iraq
»  The Role of the Kurds in the Armenian Genocide

Caricature