Neymar moved a step closer to rejoining Barcelona on Monday night as Paris Saint-Germain admitted there had been contact with the Catalan club and claimed the Brazilian was free to leave for the right offer this summer.
PSG issued a statement on Monday claiming Neymar had missed training without permission and the French champions vowed to take the "appropriate action".
The player's father later said his son did have permission to miss the session, but his absence was seen by PSG as another sign that he is not committed to the project and sporting director Leonardo told Le Parisien that he could now be sold this summer.
"Neymar can leave PSG if there is an offer made that suits everybody," the Brazilian said. "For now, we do not know if anybody wants to buy him or at what price. What is certain is that this sort of thing does not get done in one day.
"We have not received any offers, but there has been very superficial contact (with Barca). They said they want to buy him, but that we do not want to sell him. That is what [Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu] said, but we did not see them in a real buying position."
Bartomeu chose his words carefully on Friday when he spoke to the media ahead of Frenkie de Jong's presentation as a Barca player, saying only that he understood Neymar was keen to return, but that he believed the player was not for sale.
That has changed with Leonardo's words and Barca will now look to put together a deal to bring back the Brazilian forward, which could involve sending one or two players to PSG in part-exchange for the 27-year-old.
PUKmedia \ Evening Standard