EU launches military mission to tackle migrant crisis


22/6/2015 19:16:00
Print
     EU launches military mission to tackle migrant crisis

Meeting in Luxembourg on Monday, the ministers gave their nod for the mission to head into its Phase 1, which would see five warships, two submarines, and three maritime patrol aircraft carry out intelligence gathering operations with drones and helicopters in attendance.
The European Union Naval Force Mediterranean Sea (EU NAVFOR Med) aims to target people smugglers in the Mediterranean.
"I am impressed by the unanimity and speed with which we have put this together," EU foreign policy Chief Federica Mogherini said.
"As the EU, we are determined to contribute to save lives, dismantle the networks of the smugglers of human beings and address the root causes of migration," she said.
Some 100,000 migrants have crossed the Mediterranean so far this year, most of them landing in Italy, Greece and Malta. The military mission was decided on back in April, when up to 800 people died when their rickety boat sank.
EU NAVFOR Med also envisages two follow-up phases, which require a United Nations Security Council Resolution and Libya’s approval. Phase 2 would see active intervention to board and disable smuggler vessels and arrest the traffickers, while the third stage would extend these actions into Libyan territorial waters and possibly inside the country itself.
Critics, however, insist that taking military action in Libyan waters or halting a vessel flying the country's flag without an international mandate would be in violation of the international law.
HN/KA/HMV

PUKmedia


 

KRG Representative in Poland at the Economic Forum


Ziyad Raoof KRG Representative in Poland participated in 29 th edition of the Economic Forum in Krynica (Poland). It is one of the biggest political and economic conference in East- Central Europe ...


»  Top thinker Caucher Birkar talks maths and migration
»  A Kurdish guy saves the lives of 6 people
 

A political analyst: The subject of the disappeared will be raised for electoral campaigns


Political analyst, Wathiq al-Hashemi stressed that the subject of the disappeared and missing in Iraq cannot be resolved, pointing out that raising it is a part of the election campaigns.

&...


»  Top thinker Caucher Birkar talks maths and migration
»  Taimur of Anfal: Survivor of the Samawa mass graves
 

Displaced persons: 2019 will be one of the worst years on record


Natural disasters have already forced 7 million people from their homes in 2019. Experts expect the number to triple by the end of the year as mass displacement becomes "the norm."

 
»  A forgotten camp in Syria could be the birthplace of ISIS' revenge generation
»  World 'gravely' unprepared for effects of climate crisis


Caricature